How well do you know your npm trivia?
We got a little help from the npm team on this week’s quiz!
1. What’s npm’s mascot?
2. What does “npm” stand for?
a) Node Package Manager
b) Node Project Manager
c) Node Package Manifest
d) Nerdy Punk Mammals
3. How many people does npm employ?
e) None. Everyone is a volunteer.
4. Before working in technology, what was npm inventor and npm, Inc. CEO Isaac Schlueter’s line of work?
a) Door-to-door vacuum cleaner sales
b) Political speechwriter
c) Test pilot
d) Line cook at a naval research station
e) Chess champion
5. Where is npm, Inc. cofounder Laurie Voss from?
a) Köln, Germany
e) St. Petersburg, Russia
6. What is the largest number of packages that have been downloaded from npm’s Registry in one week?
a) 9.1 billion
b) 600 million
c) 1.8 billion
d) 5.2 billion
e) 12 billion
7. How big is the npm Registry?
a) 900 GB
b) 1.2 TB
c) 8 TB
d) 20 TB
e) 1 PB
SEE MORE: npm 5.7.0 takeaways: “We will make it even clearer to users when we publish a pre-release build”
1. b) npm’s mascot, seen throughout the npmjs.com web application and on npm’s ubiquitous conference stickers, is a wombat. In 2017, npm, Inc. even adopted a real baby wombat. Teacup lives at the Sleepy Burrows wombat sanctuary in Gundaroo, New South Wales, Australia.
3. c) npm, Inc. employs 34 people, distributed worldwide from its headquarters in Oakland, CA, USA. “People assume we’re like hundreds and hundreds,” said Jonathan Cowperthwait, npm’s vice president of marketing, “or they’re surprised that we are an entity at all. When I joined npm, Inc., some developer friends were shocked; ‘Wait, that’s a company?’”
4. a) In a 2012 interview, Schlueter revealed that he began his career selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door after dropping out of university in Connecticut. He moved to California on the premise that California had tech jobs, and one thing led to another….
5. c) Laurie Voss was raised in Trinidad before attending university in London, UK, and making his way to the United States to work with Yahoo, Inc. “Nobody can place my accent,” said Voss, “so everyone thinks I am bad at pronunciation.”
6. d) From May 10th to May 17th of 2018, npm users downloaded 5.2 billion packages from the npm Registry, setting a new record.
7. c) The registry is approximately 8TB in size, with 25M total package-versions.
How well did you do? Do you know your npm trivia?
0-2 correct: You’re just a beginner.
3-4 correct: You’re pretty solid in your npm trivia, but you still might need to pay a little more attention to the details.
5-6 correct: Nice! You really know your stuff!
7 correct: You are an npm master.