How well do you know your Eclipse MicroProfile trivia?
We’re continuing our weekly technology quiz with Eclipse MicroProfile! How well do you know this Eclipse project designed for optimizing Enterprise Java microservices architecture?
It’s time for another programming quiz. Today, we’re testing your knowledge of Eclipse MicroProfile!
The Eclipse MicroProfile project is aimed at optimizing Enterprise Java for the microservices architecture by leveraging both Java EE and non-Java EE technologies.
We got a little help from Emily Jiang on this week’s quiz!
1. How many releases has MicroProfile Config done?
2. What are the upcoming release in MicroProfile?
a) MicroProfile 1.3
b) MicroProfile 1.4
c) MicroProfile 2.0
d) MicroProfile 1.4 and MicroProfile 2.0
3. What are the application servers implemented MicroProfile 1.3?
a) Open Liberty 220.127.116.11, WebSphere Liberty 18.104.22.168
b)Payara Server 182 and Payara Micro 182
c) Wildfly Swarm 2017.12.1
e) TomEE 7.0.x
4. In Fault Tolerance, are the parameters in the Fault Tolerance annotations such as Retry configurable?
5. In MicroProfile Config, what are the default configure sources?
a) Environment Variables
b) System Properties
c) The prepackaged microprofile-config.properties under META-INF folder
d) The prepackaged microprofile-config.properties under WEB-INF folder for WAR
6. In MicroProfile Open Tracing, how can I enable it for my JAX-RS invocations?
a) Do nothing
b) Add @Traced
7. What are the upcoming new specifications in MicroProfile?
a) MicroProfile Reactive
b) MicroProfile Long Running Actions
c) MicroProfile Data access
d) MicroProfile Cache
e) MicroProfile Service Mesh
1. c) 4. MicroProfile Config has done 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3.
2. d) MicroProle 1.4 and MicroProfile 2.0. We are trying to release MicroProfile 1.4 and 2.0 at the same time in June 2018.
3. a) and b). Wildfly Swarm (rebranding asThorntail) has the full implementation of MicorProfile 1.2 and is in the process of implementing MicroProfile 1.3. TomEE 7.0.x and KumuluzEE implemented some of the MicroProifle specs. As far as I know, TomEE 7.0.x is in the process of implementing other MicroProfile specifications. For more information, please refer to the documentation here.
4. a) Yes. In Fault Tolerance, all of the parameters in the Fault Tolerance annotations are configurable. You can configure the parameters in any of the config sources that can be discovered by MicroProfile Config. For more information, head over to GitHub.
5. a), b), and c). Environment variable with the default ordinal of 300 and system property with the default ordinal of 400 are default configure sources. The pre-packaged config sources need to be on the classpath. In order to avoid merging, the file microprofile-config.properties on the classpath will be loaded. If the file is placed else, the service loader pattern needs to be used to load the config sources. For more information, refer to here.
6. a) Do nothing. MicroProfile Open Tracing specification requires implementation to automatically allow JAX-RS applications to participate in distributed tracing, without requiring developers to add any distributed tracing code into their applications. For more information, refer to here.
7. a), b), and e). MicroProfile Reactive is to provide reactive capability for microservices.
MicroProfile Long Running Actions is trying to introduce APIs to enable microservices operations enaging in a transaction.
MicroProile Service Mesh is to investigate and define the ecosystem between MicroProfile and Service Mesh platform, e.g. Istio.
Currently in the MicroProfile google group, we are discussing how to access data, however no clear specification has been made. In the future, I expect to see Cache is being discussed in MicroProfile as well.
Please join in the community and start contributing via clicking ‘Join the discussion’ on microprofile.io.
How well did you do? Do you know your MicroProfile trivia?
0-2 correct: You’re just a beginner.
3-4 correct: You’re pretty solid in your MicroProfile trivia, but you still might need to pay a little more attention to the details.
5-6 correct: Nice! You really know your stuff!
7 correct: You are a MicroProfile master.