Tips on how to declutter your work life as a software tester
© Shutterstock / marekuliasz
Doing the same tasks every single day is likely to lead to frustration. However, you should keep in mind that frustration is a state of mind — you can easily overcome it if you take these steps.
Software testing is one of the most flourishing segments of the IT industry and offers multiple opportunities to progress. Software testers’ life is highly interesting as they get to be involved in extremely interesting activities and their sphere of learning also widens.
However, after a certain period of time, this job might become boring as activities tend to repeat themselves. The mundane activity of writing the same bug reports and executing the similar test programs, again and again, leads to frustration. The lack of challenge and excitement might even make testers reconsider their jobs.
Does this make the software testing job boring? No!
Software testers must find a way to break free from frustration and make their jobs more exciting.
Testing is a never-ending process, which can be accomplished by discovering, exploring, and investigating the pieces of information available. In order to overcome the feeling of monotony and see the job with new eyes, experts have a few tips in their sack. Let’s have a look at some tips to make your job more exciting:
- If the lack of excitement is the reason for your frustration, then there are many ways to add a zing to your work. To start with, set a benchmark and set yourself the goal to find 3 or 5 errors in the entire system. This will not only help you explore the work but will also contribute to enhancing the performance.
- There are various people in an organization who feel frustrated. Hence, it is best to stay away from them and fuel your mind with positive thoughts. This will make sure the work is completed on a positive note and your positive vibes will “infect” the people around you.
- Set a goal and visualize your career path for the next five years. This will motivate you to reach the spot without any distractions (such as negative thoughts). If you have an enthusiastic approach, it will eventually have a positive impact on your career path.
- Upgrading your skills also helps improve the existing skillset. Other skills like communication, team building, time management, problem-solving skills, etc. will undoubtedly boost your career.
- There’s nothing better than sharing your knowledge — you can write an article or a guide and help others in need. This will not only motivate you but will also help others do better.
- All work and no fun is what makes a monotonous job highly frustrating. Hence, it is important to reward yourself even after a small achievement — this should decrease the stress at work.
- Broaden your horizon by collaborating with developers or the QA team.
- Give junior testers a helping hand so they can learn the methods and processes from you. This process takes you out of your monotony and you get to train a junior, which is a great gesture.
- Build a good relationship with the developers and try to get familiar with their projects and working pattern. Ask for help and also offer help in return.
- Organizing your desk is a crucial step that most people skip. A scattered desktop looks clumsy and you might get frustrated without knowing exactly why. Hence, it is better to arrange all the files in a particular folder systematically, which will also help you find them more easily.
- It is important to complete all the daily activities but if, for some reason, this is not possible, don’t beat yourself over it. Not everything works as planned and that’s ok.
- If you have a good relationship with your manager, you can ask him to assign you a different task like performance testing, security testing, or automated testing. This will give you the liberty to use various other tools and might make your activities more interesting.
Involving yourself in similar activities on a daily basis might lead to frustration. However, you should keep in mind that frustration is a state of mind — you can overcome it easily if you take the steps mentioned above.
Consider the aforementioned points to achieve better results and take your career as a software tester to the next level.