Ask these 8 simple questions before hiring a blockchain developer
How can you find a blockchain developer who has the potential and talent to serve your organization? To make things easier for you, here is a guide on some significant questions you should be asking your prospective blockchain developer.
Blockchain technology has become the backbone of the internet where its extensive application in the different areas of the business is just too good to ignore. No matter which type of industry you belong to, you can introduce blockchain if you are running a business. After all, it is a great alternative to centralized banking, conventional currency, and various transaction methods.
So, if you are one amongst the many organizations who have decided to inculcate blockchain in your business, the first and foremost thing that you will need is to arrange for a resource. A blockchain developer needs to be at your assistance to ensure that you integrate the technology in the best way possible. But, as this technology is relatively new, it’s hard to find qualified blockchain developers.
So, how will you find a developer that has the potential and talent to serve your organization?
To make things easier for you, here is a guide on some significant questions that you should be asking your prospective blockchain developer.
8 essential blockchain questions to ask the developers before hiring
Begin with some basic questions about their knowledge of blockchain technology. Developers must have a thorough idea of the various blockchain platforms, applications and implementation. This is the first step to gauge their knowledge.
#1 What are the types of blockchain?
There are three types of blockchain:
- Private: It works in a closed ecosystem and requires permission to operate. So, if you opt for a private blockchain, no outsider will be able to join or know the activities taking place here.
- Public: It works in an open ecosystem. Anyone can join here and carry out the transactions.
- Consortium: This type of blockchain is decentralized in nature. It is partly private as it offers the same benefits affiliated with a private blockchain – like efficiency and transaction privacy, but with a difference of operating under the leadership of a group instead of a single entity.
#2 What are the main features of blockchain?
Blockchain comes along with a lot of features. Some of the significant ones include:
- Decentralized – no centralized entity or authority has control over it
- Security – you can expect unparalleled security while using the blockchain technology
- Immutability – the data once written, cannot be altered or changed
- Minting – it provides coin minting by various methods
- Promptness – there are quick transactions with blockchain
- Cost-effective – the absence of the third party makes it effective as well as affordable
#3 What is the process followed in executing a blockchain project?
There are six steps to be followed in order to implement a blockchain project:
- Selecting the blockchain platform
- Initializing the blockchain
- Setting up the consensus protocol
- Executing the smart contract
- Controlling and monitoring the project
- Debugging and scaling
If you find that their answers are up to the mark till here, move towards an advanced level of the questioning session that is mentioned below.
#4 How to check that the block is valid?
Block verification is done by every full node on the network. So, when a new block gets announced, a list of checks will be carried out by every node that receives it. In order to check the validity, there are two important things to take note of:
- Proof of work
This is to verify that a block is providing enough work to be included in the chain.
- The validity of all the transactions
This is to check that all the transactions that are carried out in the blockchain ecosystem are valid.
#5 What is mining and how does it help in blockchain?
The process used for reaching consensus in the blockchain networks is termed as mining. Mining helps in two ways:
- First, it creates new coins in the generated block.
- Second, by providing proof of work (proof that the generated block is valid) to the network, it includes transactions in a distributed ledger.
#6 Which types of records can be stored in a blockchain? Does it have any restriction here?
The blockchain supports all types of data and records. It can have multiple use cases for different industries. Regardless of a startup or a full-fledged organization, if you have a supply chain management running in your business, you can use blockchain to store the extensive data.
Blockchain supports a number of records including:
- Supply chain management records
- Transaction records
- Medical records
- Employee records
- Music records and so o
#7 Is the blockchain technology secure? If yes, to what extent? Has it ever been hacked?
Compared to other similar technologies currently, blockchain is secure. However, it is vulnerable to the 51 percent attack. It is a situation where an organization or a group of miners gain access to more than 50% of the networking computer power. When this happens, it is easily possible to take control and alter transactions in the network, leading to data alteration and asset theft.
The 51 percent attack is definitely possible, but it is hardly observed as it requires huge computational processing power.
#8 What can help in eliminating the security threats that accompany while using blockchain technology?
The key principles which when followed can help eliminate the security threats include:
- Database security
- Securing applications
- Securing the testing procedures
- Continuous planning
- Training to the digital workforce
Asking these questions to the prospective blockchain developers will give you an insight into how they can contribute to your organization. There is much more to these questions. So, make sure to research well on what you can ask pertaining to the needs of your business, only then schedule an interview with the candidates. This will enable you to stay clear on what to expect from them while interviewing and what criteria they need to fulfill to get hired in your organization.
If you have any doubts or wish to add a few questions that you think are important to ask a blockchain developer, feel free to share your inputs in the comments section below.