How well do you know your Akka trivia?
It’s time for another programming pub quiz! This week, we’re testing your knowledge about Akka. Do you know everything there is to know about this toolkit for building concurrent applications on the JVM?
It’s time for another pub quiz. Today, we’re testing your knowledge of Akka trivia! This week, we got a little help from the Akka team at Lightbend.
1. What does the name Akka mean?
a) It’s a Swedish acronym: Aktörer Kan Klå Affärsmän (“Actors can fight businessman”)
b) The Áhkká mountain in Sweden
c) Nothing. Jonas made it up while he was out drinking.
2. “one actor is…
a) … totally fine!”
b) … an endpoint.”
c) … no actor, they come in systems.”
3. What does “the dungeon” refer to?
a) To the dungeon master actor who serves as the referee and settings maintainer for the whole actor system.
b) To the Akka internals which handle all concurrency aspects.
c) To the part of the codebase where synchronous calls are executed (e.g. for JDBC access).
4. There is a Pirate hidden in a specific piece of core akka, what is his name?
a) Lars: “Ship’s going down!”
b) Hulk: “Leave me alone.”
c) Thor: “I have no plans to die today.”
5. How distributed is the Akka team?
a) 5 timezones
b) 4 timezones
c) 3 timezones
6. What license is Akka released under?
a) Apache License 2.0
b) GNU General Public License (GPL)
c) Mozilla Public License 2.0.
7. How does team lead Patrik like his streaming pancakes?
c) with Nutella
8. Who is Lars named after?
a) Lars Ulrich, the drummer of Metallica
b) Lars Ulrich Sørensen, a professional cyclist
c) Lars Eller, a Danish professional ice hockey player.
9. Can Dead Letters be received?
a) No. As the name states, they are dead/lost.
b) Yes. An actor can subscribe to class akka.actor.DeadLetter on the event stream.
c) No. They get automatically sent to the akka.actor.Crematory and are sent to syslog.
10. How many contributors issued commits to Akka since February 2009?
a) Sadly, just a little over 100.
b) We are proud to thank more than 500 individuals for their contributions.
c) Rocking GitHub with >1000 contributors since 2009!
1. b) The Áhkká mountain in Sweden
2. c) … no actor, they come in systems”
3. b) To the Akka internals which handle all concurrency aspects
4. a) Lars: “Ship’s going down!”
5. b) 4 timezones
6. a) Apache License 2.0.
7. b) parallel
8. a) Lars Ulrich, the drummer from Metallica.
9. b) Yes. An actor can subscribe to class akka.actor.DeadLetter on the event stream.
10. b) We are proud to thank more than 500 individuals for their contributions.
How well did you do? Do you know your Akka trivia?
0-3 correct: You’re just a beginner.
4-5 correct: You’re pretty solid in your Akka trivia, but you still might need to pay a little more attention to the details.
6-8 correct: Nice! You really know your stuff!
9-10 correct: You are an Akka master.