When to use NgRx reactive extensions for Angular
© Shutterstock / iidea studio
Angular lets developers achieve higher performance levels, in addition to great speeds and tooling. However, there are still questions that have remained unanswered. In this article, you will learn more about what is NgRx and what are the benefits of using the extension for Angular. Lolita Rogers will also indicate some core mistakes and how NgRx features will help solve them.
Angular has turned into a very popular framework for businesses and startups aimed at developing mobile and web applications. The framework has proved to be effective enough when it comes to mobile and web app deployment, despite the target. Native products, custom applications, desktops and web projects — Angular lets developers achieve higher performance levels, in addition to great speeds and tooling. Check out more on how to import jquery in Angular.
Even with all these benefits, state management is one of the core problems here and results in various mistakes. The NgRx platform may be a good solution to this problem. When managing states, we are forced to keep an eye on several issues at the same time, which typically includes:
- UI components;
- Web workers; and,
- Multiple backends.
Building multiple stores is not usually a good idea, which is why we need to define the best storage destination. We need to decide what to store in the URL versus the memory and, moreover, we should take note of local UI state, in addition to the URL, and persistent state synchronization.
In other words, there are plenty of questions we need to answer. In this article, you will learn more about what is NgRx and what are the benefits of using the extension for Angular. We will also indicate some core mistakes and how NgRx features will help solve them.
What makes stores so popular in React?
Stores are the ones that bring reducers and actions to one place. In other words:
- Stores hold the state of your app.
- Stores let you access data by means of getState() function.
- Stores make it easy to update stores using the dispatch() method.
- Stores register listeners, and more.
In addition, stores come with a set of benefits which include:
- Immutable & Centralized State – all app states exist in one place, so you will not face any difficulties when it comes to tracking pitfalls. Moreover, you can benefit from detailed error insights, as well as recreate a particular issue, if necessary.
- Good Performance – we have already mentioned a centralized state at the top of the app. Angular was designed to provide data-flow optimization, with updates flowing down through every component. You are free to switch any of them if new values have not been emitted.
- Testability – The NgRx store is much simpler to test, as state updates come as pure functions, handled in reducers. It lets you easily test the most crucial aspects, avoiding spies, mocks and other possible tricks that result in a more complex and less effective effects testing.
In spite of all the benefits, even a tiny app can come up with plenty of mistakes. On the other hand, you can easily find an effective NgRx example on the web and cope with different obstacles.
Mistakes to avoid when implementing a NgRx tutorial
Problems can be found in any application, despite its size or complexity. Here are some common mistakes you should avoid:
- Not separating services and computing from managing state. Avoid overloading your backend with multiple tasks like talking to servers, as well as managing states at the same time.
- Not defining the synchronization strategy in advance. You need to be well-aware of how and when you are going to synchronize the server and persistent state.
- Not defining the URL synchronization strategy in advance. The issue is equal to the previous one, though specifically related to client state and the URL.
- Building multiple models. Always keep in mind that creating a multiple store will never let you guarantee a reliable or smooth-running platform.
NgRx is a state management platform to handle your application and may appear to be a great solution to all your problems. If your company needs any help when planning the development process, or if you require a team of professional developers to assist further, consider using some reputable company.
NgRx vs. Redux: Core benefits
Although inspired by it, the NgRx platform never uses Redux. It was designed especially for Angular stores, which has resulted in a more detailed approach to some of its issues. The main benefit is the ability to get a clear data flow in the application. We should mention that some principles applied in NgRx are the same as in Redux, including:
- A Single Truth Source;
- Read-Only State; and,
- Pure Functions to make changes.
Another NgRx advantage is the ability to monitor and track user interactions, as well as reasons to state changes while dispatching actions. Last, but not least, is the availability of devtools to track debugs and revert changes. Redux, today, seems to be a more plain and outdated model.