NetBeans plugin owners: Migrate to NetBeans IDE 8.1!
Have you created NetBeans plugins? Have you migrated them to the new version yet? Geertjan Wielenga has all the details you need to take you through the updating process.
Now that NetBeans IDE 8.1 has been released, it is time for NetBeans plugin owners to update their plugins for NetBeans IDE 8.1, publish them on the NetBeans Plugin Portal, and specify that they should be verified so that they will be made available in the Plugin Manager in NetBeans IDE 8.1. That way, users of your plugin will easily be able to find it because typically NetBeans users go to Tools | Plugins and simply expect your plugin to be there.
Take the following steps, after you have checked that your plugin works in NetBeans IDE 8.1 and, if it doesn’t, have made the relevant changes to your code.
Note: In most cases, your plugin should work as-is in NetBeans IDE 8.1. However, changes made in NetBeans IDE 8.1 were significant, on the infrastructure level, and potentially plugins can be broken in NetBeans IDE 8.1. The NetBeans APIs were changed in a compatible way, but some were split into multiple modules, which means that dependencies may need to be updated. Therefore, all the plugins really do need to be verified. Testing your existing NMBs from 8.0.2 with 8.1 should be the first step, which you can easily do simply by trying to install your plugin in 8.1, after which if there are problems you will probably need to add new dependencies to your plugin.
After having done the above, do the following to get your plugin into the Plugin Manager of NetBeans IDE 8.1:
- Go to http://plugins.netbeans.org/my-plugins.
- Click the “Add binary” link.
- Click “Browse…” and select the 8.1 compatible NBM file of your plugin that you have created.
- Click the “8.1” radio button.
- Write something into “What’s new in this version” text area, for example “NetBeans 8.1 compatible binary”, and click the “Save Plugin” button.
- Repeat step 1 and click your plugin’s link to get to its public page.
- Select the”NetBeans 8.1″ tab and then click the “Request Verification” button.
Automatically, e-mails will be sent to the NetBeans verification community who will check to make sure that your plugin works correctly in NetBeans IDE 8.1. Once they have verified your plugin, it will automatically be made available in the Plugin Manager in NetBeans IDE 8.1, accessible under the Tools menu.