Istio 1.2 arrives with SNI at ingress, distributed tracing, and service tracing becoming stable
Istio 1.1 might have taken some extra time to go live but its successor, 1.2 comes along swiftly! With Istio 1.2, features that have been delivered over the past several 1.1.x releases are now officially part of the build. Let’s have a look.
The Istio team is back with a prompt release of Istio 1.2.
The previous major release, Istio 1.1, took quite some time to go out due to some heavily manual work on testing and infrastructure.
For that reason, 1.2 focuses on improving the stability of the features introduced in Istio 1.1 and the past several 1.1.x releases, and improving general product health.
One of the most interesting highlights in this release is the graduation of SNI at ingress, distributed tracing, and service tracing from Beta to Stable.
Let’s have a look.
Istio 1.2 brings a lot of fixes and features from the Istio community.
Here are some highlights.
traffic.sidecar.istio.io/includeInboundPortsannotation to eliminate the need for service owner to declare
containerPortin the deployment yaml file. This will become the default in a future release.
- Added IPv6 experimental support for Kubernetes clusters.
- Added ability to configure the DNS refresh rate for sidecar Envoys, to reduce the load on the DNS servers.
- Graduated Sidecar API from Alpha to Alpha API and Beta runtime.
- Added support for setting HTTP idle timeouts to upstream services.
- Added Kubernetes health check prober rewrite per deployment via
sidecar.istio.io/rewriteAppHTTPProbers: "true"in the
- Added support for configuring the secret paths for Istio mutual TLS certificates. Refer here for more details.
- Added support for PKCS 8 private keys for workloads, enabled by the flag
- Graduated SNI with multiple certificates support at ingress gateway from Alpha to Stable.
- Graduated certification management on Ingress Gateway from Alpha to Beta.
- Graduated distributed tracing from Beta to Stable.
- Changed Prometheus generated traffic is excluded from metrics.
istioctl verify-installout of experimental.
istioctl verify-installto validate if a given Kubernetes environment meets Istio’s prerequisites.
- Added auto-completion support to
istioctl experimental dashboardto allow users to easily open the web UI of any Istio addons.
istioctl xalias to conveniently run
istioctl versionto report both Istio control plane and
istioctlversion info by default.
istioctl validateto validate Mixer configuration and supports deep validation with referential integrity.
Check out the official release notes for the detailed list of all new features and improvements.