The Small Print on cloud services 'exposed'
Several independent agencies proclaim that enterprises are marching towards the cloud. But cloud moves are riddled with problems, says analyst firm Yankee group.
It surveyed 41 cloud vendors - software, infrastructure, platform providers - and found that:
- Only half of service providers offer SLAs,
- None offer financial compensation when SLAs are violated
- The timelines mentioned to fix reported problems are often 'notional'
- Customers can be expected to get compensated through service credits
- Operational opaqueness, weak privacy policies further add to customers' woes.
Yankee Group concludes that as things stand cloud risks outweigh benefits. Customers should read the fine print and be proactive in managing cloud engagements.