Liferay Enterprise Portal 6.1 lands
A new version of the comprehensive web portal, built on a Java framework has landed. Find all the details of what is new within…
Liferay Inc has announced the general availability of the latest update to their popular enterprise open portal, Liferay Portal 6.1 EE with its mantra to ‘empower business enterprise users’.
The latest version claims to be the richest yet, offering key usability enhancements for the most tech savvy business owner and even a novice could work. Liferay also say that through ‘extensive user interface updates will make document management more productive and intuitive, with desktop and mobile access, live previews, and integration to external enterprise document repositories’.
This release also creates a deep level of integration with Liferay’s stable of enterprise products such as Liferay Marketplace, which will allow administrators to find and install applications to extend functionality directly from the portal. For advanced customisation, there’s also Liferay Developer Studio integration which reduces development costs and time to market.
So, the bounty of new features include:
- New Liferay Sync which allows online and offline synchronization to desktop and mobile devices.
- Third-party Integration with Documentum, Sharepoint and other CMIS repositories
- A new drag-and-drop functionality for document and media libraries simplify content management.
- Dynamic Video and File Previews
- Administrators can now designate certain pages and sections of a page to be personalized by users.
- Multiple website versions can be edited simultaneously and scheduled for publication.
Liferay is deployable to the cloud as a SaaS and runs PHP, Ruby, Python, Grails and other lightweight scripting technologies within a robust Java framework. There are options to connect to Terracotta, Oracle RAC, and other scalability solutions. You can download a trial version of the Enterprise Edition at their website, or choose the community version which differs slightly as the below diagram shows. For a list of full technologies offered, check the specs - quite a lengthy list!
This video tells you how to get started with Liferay Portal 6.